Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Time after Time

Cecil Day-Lewis wrote "We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand".  That's where I'm at this morning.  Maybe it's sleep deprivation, but the title of song by Norah Jones, "Time after Time" keeps coming to mind.  The song deals, in part, with memories, with thinking about people who have come into and gone out of our lives.  It also deals, obliquely, with people who have come into our lives and have stayed.  Reading the lyrics can trigger many different thoughts, depending on where you are in your life.  Each phrase that she sings can mean so many different things to me, depending on how I interpret it.  I guess that's one of the magic qualities of her compositions.

For dealing with memories of times past, I've taken the advice of my wise cousin/mentor, Barb, who said that sometimes you should just put all of these memories into a box and, when necessary, take it out and remember the good things and then put it away again.  Meanwhile, you should begin making new memories.  It's good advice on both counts and I have been following it as best I can.

Back to the quote in the lead paragraph, some of the items that I've posted in this blog in recent day reflect my attempts to understand my life and the recent challenges that I've faced.  I think I'm getting to where I want to be now.  It's a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment