Thursday, July 29, 2010

Focus

No, I'm not writing about photography or paying attention.  This evening, I had my first experience as a member of a focus group that was set up by a credit union that I belong to.  When I was asked on the phone to participate a few days ago and learned that it would be about financial matters, like investing and mortgages and such stuff, I told them that they really had the wrong person.  I have a hard time making change let alone talking intelligently about things financial.  But, they screened me with a bunch of questions and said I was suitable for the focus group.  Personally, I thought they must have been desperate but, when they offered me an honorarium to participate, I said "okay".

Anyways, I went tonight and had no problem putting in my "two  cents worth" when my opinion was asked about something.  I learned there were no wrong answers.  They just wanted a range of viewpoints, about current and possible future products that might be offered by the credit union, from the dozen or so people there.  And, with some questions, they did get quite a range of answers.  With other questions, they got very similar answers from most people.

So, I did something different tonight.  Although I was a little nervous about attending this event at first, it was certainly a learning experience for me.  And, I realized that a lot of things to do with banking and investing are really interesting as you gradually learn more and more about these subjects.  My times, they are a changing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment