Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day of September

As I sit before my computer this morning and write this, it's apparent Fall is here now.  First, it's still dark out at 6 a.m.  Second, at only 9 degrees, it's quite cool, inside and outside because I left a bunch of windows open last night when I went to bed.  Tonight, I think I'll put the old but warm Hudson Bay blanket back on the bed.

Last night, while wandering around the yard, I noted that some of the leaves on the plants have started to turn yellow.  There are still lots of flowers in bloom, including those on some of the waterlilies, clematises and lilies, but it's obvious that most plants are beginning to shut down for the season (except for those damn dandelions and thistles!).  Even the grass seems to be growing slower.

I have mixed emotions about this change in the seasons.  I've really enjoyed tending the perennial plants and photographing the blooms over the spring and summer.  I've learned quite a bit about them in doing so.  And, I have so much more to learn yet.  On the other hand, I'm looking forward to getting back into some of my other hobbies, including woodworking and calligraphy.  Maybe, I'll even dig out the watercolours and do a bit of painting.  I'm not especially good at these activities but I do find them relaxing and enjoy giving some of my little creations to close friends and relatives.

Of course, there are some things I don't look forward to as the cooler weather sets in.  Things like snow clearing and scaping snow and ice off my windshield were never high on my list of fun activities.  Fortunately, in these days of cheap air fares, we'll be able to escape Manitoba's worst winter days by going somewhere warmer for a few days.  Cabin fever usually comes during January and February in Winnipeg.  Getting away to somewhere warmer and green, even if only for a few days, always seems to help me get through that tough period of the year.

But, enough of these cool thoughts.  It's time I got ready to take my dog for our morning walk, to enjoy what's left of these early Fall days.

1 comment:

  1. We are having a heat wave in the GTA. September is a tough month. It means summer is almost over. Although there are many wonderful events in the Fall/Winter seasons, there is nothing like summer.

    ReplyDelete