Friday, September 24, 2010

Michaelmas Daisies

Michaelmas daisies are a frost hardy, bushy perennial that blooms from late summer well into the Fall. My white ones bring welcome color to my backyard garden at this time of the year.  They attract butterflies like the Painted Lady Butterfly and all sorts of other late season pollinators .  Said to grow best in boggy, moist conditions, my Michaelmas daisies should feel very comfortable in my soggy yard right now. Although they symbolize the end of the growing season to the gardener, their appearance now is still very welcome.  Located just off the edge of my deck, I see them every time I let Holly out to explore the backyard.  The person who planted them there chose the site well.



They are also a reminder to me to use the coming warmer, sunnier days well to ready the yard for winter snows and the pots for winter storage.  Some of the potted plants will go into cold storage for the winter, to be brought out again in the spring; others will go onto the compost heap to eventually be fertilizer for future plantings.  The weeds that I'll be pulling and the clippings from the trees and shrubs that I'll soon be pruning will have to go out with the garbage in the coming week.  I love the changing of the seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment