Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Groucho Made His Mark

Very few people living today have heard of Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx (1890-1977).  He was a American comedian and actor known to radio listeners and early television watchers for his quick wit.  You couldn't go through life in the 50's and 60's without knowing who Groucho was.  Few would call him a philosopher but everyone would recognize him as an accomplished witticist.

You still see his witticisms quoted today.  One of my favorite Groucho sayings is "Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it".  That thought, more verbose than many of his quotes, helped to carry me through a few hard periods of my life.

Anyone who suddenly enters a difficult period of their life, when nothing seems fair any more, when their dreams and plans come crashing down on their shoulders, can easily become depressed.  This encouraging quote would be a good one to copy out, stick on the bathroom mirror, and think about as you get ready to face another day.

1 comment:

  1. What a great quote! He was a goofy looking guy though! We all need others to help us through difficult situations. Positive thinking can be a great way to continue!

    ReplyDelete