Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yet Another Trip To Carman

When you stop at the Carman Coop Food Store for a few groceries and one of the clerks you know there asks you if you've moved back to Carman yet, you have to wonder.  Maybe you are getting back there fairly often.  Maybe you do miss that sleepy little town.  Certainly, the people I know there, in all the businesses I used to deal with (that included most of the businesses in town!), are amongst the friendliest in Manitoba.  I still deal with the RBC there.  I know everyone there and they all know me.  That's important when it comes to banking.  Today, though, my business was with my lawyer, Brock Lee.  Just getting some of my affairs in order, as they say.  Funny thing about lawyers, even after dealing with this one for over 20 years, you never get a discount on the fees you are charged.  Oh, well ... we all have to eat.

Speaking of eating, that was the other reason I went to Carman today: to have lunch with Denis and Gwen at Tidbit, the Chinese restaurant.  We don't even have to tell Kim, our server, what we want.  She simply recites our usual orders to confirm what we want.  And, she always brings me a little side dish of hot sauce because she knows I'll want some.  It was good catching up on what's happening with Denis and Gwen.  As I expected, they've started their spring yard work.  Denis has been busy cutting grass and using his new little tiller to turn over the flower and vegetable plots for Gwen.  I also began to wonder if I go back to Carman too often when Gwen mentioned that she sees more of me now than she did when I lived there.  At least she had a smile on her face when she said it.  Good people.

Driving there and back, with Holly riding shotgun in the back of the Escape, I was a little surprised to see there was still some snow in some of the wooded areas where the drifts had piled up during the winter.  Otherwise, the fields looked almost ready for spring harrowing, fertilizing, and seeding.  I imagine some of the farmers are getting eager to begin.  Judging by all the field gear being readied in some of the farm yards that I passed, it won't be long now.  Which reminds me, I've got some spring yard work to do myself!

1 comment:

  1. I think we all see you more now...and I have a smile on my face too :)

    ReplyDelete