Wednesday, April 14, 2010

21 Degrees C Today!

It's hard to believe but that's how warm it is right now as I write this (nearly 7 p.m., Wednesday evening).  It'll probably cool off a few degrees over the next few minutes, as I note the approaching thunderstorm coming in from the west.  But, what a great day here in Winnipeg!

During my walk along the Harte Trail earlier this afternoon, the buds on the trees and shrubs were bursting, with catkins on many of the willows and aspens.  Spikes of bright green grass were poking up through the old dead grass straw.  Holly was glad to get home so she could get a long drink of water.  Come to think of it, my two cups of coffee went down rather quickly too.

Wandering around the back yard, I was surprised and pleased to see a couple of small spring perennials blooming here and there.  One patch of small blue flowers was "spring squills" (Scillia sibirica).  The other patch was "striped squills" (Puschkinia scilloides).  Several other plants were just emerging from the leafy debris/mulch.  Too early to say what they might be: possibly some are mini-daffodils.

Of course, some oregano and lots of chive clumps are growing in the herb plot.  The ornamental rhubarb is just starting to push up new growth.  The tulips are still in the rampant leafing stage.  Most of them have doubled in size over the past week.  It's all very exciting to me as I stare at that huge learning curve ahead of me.  I hope that the passing thunderstorm leaves some rain on my yard.  Otherwise, I'll be out watering the flower beds tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment