Saturday, April 17, 2010

Another Super Day

Today was awesome. The weather was fantastic, a slight breeze, brilliant sunshine, and a high of 21. And, it's only the 17th of April. Not to mention that the forecast is for at least a few more days of the same. I feel so lucky to live where I do right now.

Today was also extraordinary because my friend Margaret and I drove up to Gimli. We had a lot of fun, starting with a fine lunch of pickerel at the Lakeview Resort and Hotel. By coincidence, a friend of Margaret's just became the General Manager of the complex where we dined and he came to visit Margaret at our table. After our meal, our server brought us a couple of wonderful desserts, "compliments of the Manager". Very nice of him!

After lunch, we did some window shopping, visited the Icelandic Museum, and did lots of walking. The long harbour breakwater (seen below), with its increasingly long row of murals, was really neat to walk.


Out towards the end of the breakwater, there was ice pushed up on the rocks. The large crystals of ice were amazing.


At the last store we visited, a quilt and fabric place, I even found a beautiful, wall-hanging-quilt which I just had to buy for my home, despite the price. I may put it on my coffee table or I may hang it on my living room wall. I'm leaning towards hanging it on the living room wall. It just seems like too fine a piece of fabric art to put on the coffee table.

We took the slow way back to Winnipeg, not wanting the day to end. There are a lot of neat little towns between Gimli and the Perimeter. Most of them are "old cottage country" type places, with many of the cottages dating as far back as the early 1900's. These days, the vacant lots are being in-filled with large new homes, probably retirees from Winnipeg. This province has so much to offer in so many out of the way places. I'm looking forward to doing more exploring this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! Sounds like you had a wonderful day :) Glad the weather turned out so beautifully for you! A great day to visit Gimli.

    ReplyDelete