Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Another Day Begins at Mosquito Flats

If you're wondering why I refer to 43 Carbutt Place as Mosquito Flats, it's because that's the sign over the front door.  The sign came from my former home near Carman, a small acreage with no neighbours in view.  Many people on such acreages or farm sites have a name for their property.  Mosquito Flats seemed like a good name for my 12 acres because, during the summer, mosquitoes could be a real challenge there.  The sign gives me a connection with an earlier dream of mine.  Not that I'm not glad I now live in the Charleswood area of SW Winnipeg.  I am.  The old Mosquito Flats was getting to be almost too much for me to handle.  It is so much easier, living where I am now.

This morning, I did something different in my normal daily routine.  I got up a little earlier so I could take Holly for a walk along the Harte Trail before the day warmed up.  During one of our walks yesterday afternoon, it was very warm and Holly was desperate for water when we got back home.  We walked from about 6:15 to about 7:30 this morning.  I'm not sure exactly how far we walked.  I think about 4 miles in all.  The morning lighting along the trail was beautiful.  Looking south at one point, I spotted four deer entering a meadow from a wooded area.  It was kind of amazing how many more trees and shrubs were leafing out, compared to just yesterday.  Spring is certainly a magic time of the year.

In any case, it was a good cardio workout for me and Holly.  But, it was good, too, to get home, make yet another cup of coffee, and settle into reading the last three issues of the Free Press.  Now, I'm thinking of the continuing yard work ahead of me today.  Maybe, I'll get out and do some photography first.  I'm trying to record the succession of flowers in my yard over the growing season.  Sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment