Monday, April 19, 2010

A Yard is Work (and Fun)

Today marked my first real day of spring yard work, here at 43 Carbutt.  With sunny skies and a temperature of 23 degrees this afternoon, it was both fun and work.  The fun came as I found more and more plants coming into bud and flower.  I'll be getting out my camera tomorrow to capture as many new flowers opening as I can.  Just to tease you, I discovered I have yellow crocuses in bloom in one of the front flower beds this afternoon.  That was a very pleasant surprise.

The work came in the form of cutting back dead vegetation in both the front and back yard.  I'll be at it again tomorrow.  There's lots yet to trim back.  I also cleaned out the old annual vegetation from all of the pots on the deck and in the back yard today.  I even started to cut back the old cattail foliage in the mini-pond from last year.  I was pleased to discover the cattails were putting up healthy new shoots.  I'm up to four large garbage bags of trimmings now.

With the sunny, warm weather that we've been having lately, it became obvious today that hand-watering selected plants wasn't enough so I've been running the slow-drip watering system in the backyard all afternoon.  Tomorrow, I'll have to get the sprinkler hoses going, front and back, to moisten all the dry flower beds that are not reached by the soaker hose system.  Another tease: the tulips along the west side of the house have started to put up flower heads now.

1 comment:

  1. Retirement sounds good. What a pleasure for you to be outside enjoying the Spring!

    ReplyDelete