Thursday, November 18, 2010

Wind Chills

It's only -8 out right now but the wind chill is -16.  Just back from a good winter walk with Holly, I thought, heading out, that I'd dressed very well for the current weather.  Unfortunately, I forgot about covering my ears.  I didn't think I'd need a hood or toque.  After all, it was only -8.  Wrong!  Live and learn.

I suppose it always takes lessons like this to smarten us up a bit for the changing conditions.  It's the same principle when it comes to driving during the first days of winter snow and ice, as a lot of Manitobans are finding out, waiting to be towed out of roadside ditches.

I took my small camera along with me today, think I might find something I'd like to record.  You know, the 'first days of winter' sort of photos.  Well, with the cold wind and the cloudy skies, nothing really was too enticing.  All I really wanted to do was to return to my warm home and put the coffee on.

We're under a 'heavy snowfall warning' at the moment, with 15-20 cm forecast for the city.  And, yes, I have my snow shovel ready!  I can even crank up my snow blower, if that becomes necessary.  Hopefully, it won't be, with this first real snow fall of the season.

It's times like this that I wish I lived on the West Coast.  Or should I say the Wet Coast?

1 comment:

  1. Snow- the glorious white on white. My favourite snow activity is watching it come down from the comfort of a warm home with a warm drink!

    ReplyDelete