Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Country Roads

There's a Danish proverb that the road to a friend's place is never long.  Such was the case yesterday.  With Holly beside me, I drove out to Carman.  The warm, sunny weather was made for getting out of the house.  First, I visited with my guardian angel, Karen, at her clothing store in Carman where we caught up our news with each other.  Karen is celebrating 30 years in business at her location.  Quite an achievement in small-town Manitoba.  She's been putting shirts (and other clothes) on me for about 20 years.  Our friendship has grown closer and closer over the years.

Next, I headed down some back roads, taking a few pictures along the way, to visit a couple of other long-time friends, Denis and Gwen.


Travelling these gravel roads brought back some good memories of my life, living near Carman.  John Denver's song, Country Roads, kept going through my mind.

Along the way, it was neat to see most of the fields in the Carman-Homewood area already tilled and waiting for winter.  There was still the odd farmer working, mowing down the already harvested corn stalks or doing some final tilling and harrowing.  Most of the crops in this area are already in the bin or on the way to terminals.


Coffee and conversation with Denis and Gwen was great.  Catching up on the local news with them was fun.  They're now preparing to sell their country acreage, to move into town, into a new seniors' housing development where life will be a lot easier for them.  But, I think they'll miss maintaining their yard site and the privacy that they now enjoy.  I know I still miss my old place out there near Carman.  But, you have to adapt to changing times and circumstances.  Often, the changes we experience are good ones.

2 comments:

  1. Those country roads sure do reveal some interesting ideas and photos. Great that you are visiting old friends and a place you loved.

    ReplyDelete