Friday, November 5, 2010

Veterans Week Starts Today

As Remembrance Day nears and many of us reflect on members of our family who lost their lives during the past two World Wars and the conflicts since then that our troops have been deployed to, I started to think of my father, who served in the Army during WW II and, fortunately, survived.

I only have a couple of pictures of him during that time, one of which is shown below.  Here, he's standing beside my mother somewhere in Toronto, probably on Northcote Avenue where her parents, Mary and Eddie Hiscock lived.  My grandfather also served in the Army.  My grandmother served in the Salvation Army.


It's odd how so many people in my family have been connected to our Canadian Forces.  I never wore a uniform but I was a volunteer member of a DND advisory committee for over 25 years.  My son-in-law is currently Detachment Commander at the Recruiting Centre, here in Winnipeg.

1 comment:

  1. What a poignant picture! What a handsome couple!

    ReplyDelete