Monday, November 8, 2010

Bling

According to Wikipedia, "bling" is a slang term popularized in hip hop culture, referring to flashy, ostentatious or elaborate jewelry and ornamented accessories that are carried, worn or installed.

Although the concept was mostly associated with rappers until recently, it has now spread widely into everyday pop culture and seems to be the newest and latest "in" word.  Although not a word I would use in everyday conversation, I kind of like it for some reason.



Jewellery is not really my thing.  And, as one who gets his latest clothing from Mark's Work Wearhouse, I could not use the term in a fashion context.  But, I could see using it for the latest geek toys from Future Shop or Best Buy.  Things like cutting-edge electronics, televisions, computers, cameras, and so on.  Of course, they wouldn't be my things.

Unfortunately, one cannot be extravagant on a retiree's budget.  These days, I have lots of empathy for people who can afford such things but not much money.  So, I use the word 'ka-ching!' (the sound of a cash register taking my pocket money for groceries) instead of 'bling!'

1 comment:

  1. When I think of bling, I think of a rich sugar daddy! Alas don't have one so like you "ka-ching" at the grocery store it will be!

    ReplyDelete