Thursday, November 25, 2010

37 cm So Far ...

That's a lot of snow, even for Manitoba, in the last few days.  And, with the wind blowing it around this afternoon and evening, some large drifts are certain to form.  One of them will be in my driveway.  I drove to the pharmacy a few minutes ago with Holly.  It's only a couple of kilometres away but I was glad I was driving a 4x4 vehicle with lots of clearance.

Our residential streets have not been plowed yet so they are really 'tough going'.  A few unhappy people were being towed out of ditches in my neighborhood while I drove by.  At least, our bus routes are kept clear and there's talk of the City clearing the residential streets next.  An overnight parking ban goes into effect tonight.

Margaret and I had planned to see "White Christmas" at MTC, in downtown Winnipeg, tonight.  We may have to cancel that plan.  Oh, well, it should all be cleared away by Saturday when we're scheduled to attend "Spamalot" at the Concert Hall.  One learns, living in this province of winter weather extremes, not to write any planned outings in concrete.

On a positive note, it looks quite beautiful outside.  All the browns of fall (including some leaves I never got around to raking) are now covered in brilliant white and the foot-high clumps of snow on trees and shrubs and even various objects around the yard are really quite pretty to look at.  Maybe, I'll have some interesting photos to post here soon.

For friends and family in Ontario and further east, get ready for snow, lots of snow.  It's headed your way ...

1 comment: