Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Presumptions

Have you ever assumed something was true and been wrong?  I was caught in that predicament again today.  I invited my friend, Vladimyr, over for supper, offering him my special lamb stew.  I knew he loved lamb.  I had a container of it in the basement freezer for just this occasion.  Yesterday, I took it out of the freezer to thaw.

This afternoon, after he arrived here, I emptied the container into a pot to reheat the stew.  Imagine my embarrassment when it turned out I had thawed a container of vegetarian bean/lentil stew.  Ever the gentleman, he minimized my error, saying he was happy with the change in menu.

Lessons learned?  Always label everything you put in the freezer.  Looks can be deceiving.  As Kathleen Hall Jamieson once said, the assumption that seeing is believing makes us susceptible to visual deceptions.  Or, in my case, all stews look the same when frozen. 

1 comment: