Saturday, March 13, 2010

You Can Learn Something New Every Day

A friend of mine, named Vladimyr, recently sent me an mp3 of him playing a short composition on his oud. Yes, that is right, his oud. I’m so musically untalented that I can hardly play my stereo so I turned to Wikipedia on my computer to discover that “the oud is a pear-shaped, stringed instrument commonly used in Middle Eastern music … it is often seen as the predecessor of the western lute, distinguished primarily by its lack of frets”.

I loved listening to my friend’s piece so I turned again to my computer and checked out YouTube to look for more oud music. I found some great oud players (and a few not so great) and their music, proving once again that you can learn something new every day. If you are interested, just Google “YouTube oud” and listen to something very different.

No comments:

Post a Comment