Thursday, March 11, 2010

Enjoying the Simple Things

The simple things of life are under-valued. Things like watching a garden grow and flower. Watching my kids and grand-kids mature, change, and flourish. Enjoying the pleasure of my dog, Holly, snuggling beside me, just wanting a brief cuddle from me (she is a bouvier, after all!). Seeing hoar frost blow from grey branches as the morning wind stirs. Feeling the warm winter sun on my face while I’m out on a walk. A smile and a wave from a passing stranger. Reading a really good book.

Observing and listening to things in the natural world ... like bright orange lichen on mossy tree bark, a deer grazing in the woods, waves lapping on a sandy beach, a bird's feather along a path, chickadees at the backyard feeder, blue jays having a conversation overhead, raindrops falling into a pool of water, a flower bud opening. And, in the kitchen, sampling a warm, fresh-baked, peanut butter cookie. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment