Monday, March 15, 2010

Friendship

I found an anonymous quote recently that means much to me right now: “friendship is when people know all about you but like you anyways”. Over the past month or so, I’ve been reconnecting with many of my old friends and acquaintances. I haven’t been in contact with some of these people for over twenty years. This renewing of friendships was long overdue.

Over time, we often drift away from people we’ve worked with, been friends with, or simply met through other friends. It may have happened because we’ve been “too busy” with other things or because one of us has moved, changed jobs, or for some other reason. Regardless, we originally liked each other and were interested in each other for one reason or another. So, it’s been good reconnecting with these people. A few of these friends now even know about and read this blog.

Getting together with these people --- one by one --- over coffee, having lunch together, or simply going for a walk together, has been great. Sometimes, it’s been a little awkward at first. Other times, it’s been as if we saw each other yesterday (instead of years ago) and we just continued with our conversation. In some cases, we’ve gotten to talking about mutual friends and this has reminded me of other people with whom I can reconnect. What’s been good is that each of us has come away from these “reconnections” feeling better from having made the effort to get together.

Someone once told me that you can never have too many friends. How true …

No comments:

Post a Comment