Friday, September 2, 2011

More Navel Gazing

A habit is a settled or regular tendency or practise, especially one that is hard to give up. John Dryden, an English poet, literary critic, translator, and playwright in the late 1600s, was quoted as saying "We first make our habits, and then our habits make us".  I've been thinking about my habits lately, the good ones, the bad ones, and the ones that seem to be forming recently.  Like everyone else, I suppose, I want to break my bad habits and develop my good ones.

I won't reveal either my good or bad habits here in this blog post.  People who care about and understand me well certainly know what my bad habits are.  I guess, if they ever think about my habits, they wish I'd break my bad habits because they hope that, by doing so, I will live longer and have a better life.  They're probably right.

Someone once said that you should hold true to the habits that make you a better person.  In my personal, hand-written journal, I plan to list my good and bad habits that I've developed over the years, as I see them, and try to improve myself.  Maybe, over time, I'll be able to eliminate some of the worse habits, strengthen some of the better ones, and find better ways to move forward in my life.  Maybe, I'll make that a new habit.

1 comment:

  1. You have lots of good habits. You read my blog regularly and walk your dog Holly. I am sure there are many other fine qualities- you are an Ellis!

    ReplyDelete