Monday, September 5, 2011

Just Joshing

American operatic-pop singer, Josh Groban, performed at the MTS Centre last night for his Straight To You Tour.  He's done well with his singing career. His four solo albums are multi-platinum.  In 2007, he was the number one best selling artist in the USA.  To date, he has sold over 24 million albums worldwide. I guess he wears those old jeans on stage because he just wants to be comfortable, rather than waste his money on fancy clothes.

I've enjoyed listening to his songs for several years, both from his CD albums and on YouTube.  Two of his most loved songs are "You Raised Me Up" and Don't Give Up".  They're my favourites and he sang them both last night.

Knowing how much I like his singing, Margaret bought tickets for this show back in early May for my birthday present.  Tonight, I finally got to enjoy her gift to me with her by my side.

There were two stages, the big fancy one with all his musicians present and a smaller one at the other end of the  the arena that he walked to several times during the evening.  Scenery on the main stage was ever changing, using film projectors and fantastic lighting.

This image, taken with my Blackberry, gives you an idea of the impressive main stage set-up. You should be able to click on the image to see a larger one, with more detail.


Josh is quite talented.  Obviously, he's a great singer but he also accompanies himself sometimes on the piano and, a couple of times, he took to the drums.  With two other drummers at opposite end of the stage, he kept up with them quite well, sort of like duelling banjos. At the end, befitting his performance, he received two standing ovations.  I consider myself very fortunate to have finally seen and heard him perform in person.  Happiness is ...

1 comment:

  1. I love Josh Groban too. To see him live must have been so special.

    ReplyDelete