Thursday, October 11, 2012

Routine Maintenance

Every home needs routine maintenance. All it takes is planning and money. Recently, we got the furnace checked out for the winter. I didn't like it when the technician said everything is fine but it seems to be getting old. I liked it less when he said that our water heater needs to be replaced right away. When he showed me the gunk he drained from the bottom of the tank, I readily agreed. It made me vow always to use cold water for my cooking.

That's what's happening now as I write this post. The water tank is being replaced. There's lots of banging and cursing going on in the basement by the surly crew of two technicians. I don't think they like installing water tanks. I guess they don't like their jobs very much. I imagine they wish they were real plumbers, working for themselves, so they could charge more than the company they work for does.

Maintenance never ends. There's a long list of other jobs this old house needs done. But, some will have to wait until next spring. That's one of the good things about a Winnipeg winter: it shuts done exterior work, unless it's an emergency.

1 comment:

  1. Houses always need some work but you are right some things can wait for the Spring.

    ReplyDelete