Thursday, December 29, 2011

Aspergers

According to one on-line source, Asperger syndrome is "a developmental disorder that is characterized by:
  • limited interests or an unusual preoccupation with a particular subject to the exclusion of other activities.
  • repetitive routines or rituals.
  • peculiarities in speech and language, such as speaking in an overly formal manner or in a monotone, or taking figures of speech literally.
  • socially and emotionally inappropriate behaviour and the inability to interact successfully with peers.
  • problems with non-verbal communication, including the restricted use of gestures, limited or inappropriate facial expressions, or a peculiar, stiff gaze.
  • clumsy and uncoordinated motor movements".
This was the subject last night of a lengthy telephone discussion with my friend, Vlad. We agreed that we both suffer from this so-called disorder, to some degree (him, more than me, of course). Indeed, we thought most older men do.

I certainly can get preoccupied with a given subject for days on end (with him, it's more like months on end, maybe suggesting a compulsive-obsessive twist). And, with my back pain this week, my motor movements certainly were clumsy and uncoordinated (more than usual).

I also seem to have some repetitive routines. One of my favourites is my afternoon nap. Another is sharing a bowl of Cheetos with my dog at bed-time.

One routine I've developed that I'm not impressed with is waking up about 3 a.m. and having a cup of coffee while I review the latest interesting photos on Flickriver. That, of course, reinforces the need for a nap, later in the day.

Okay, enough of the self-analysis. Note that I made two posts today, proving that I haven't lost my touch in that regard.

1 comment:

  1. It is actually the high end of autism spectrum. Yes I would agree there are many undiagnosed people with aspergers. I contend 4 of the doctors I know have it! People are very bright but socially inept. Perhaps why they chose jobs like programming, lab work, specialized services, etc. As for you and your friend, I think not. You have insight! And it sounds like social and emotional intelligence and a true focus in life. Your friend and you do have an intellectual relationship. Perhaps you are just Renaissance men! Or just old men! Never the less- keepers according to the women in your life!

    ReplyDelete