Sunday, May 29, 2011

Not a Herbalist

My favorite cousin, Barb, recently asked me, in a comment, if she should start calling me a herbalist now that I'm growing herbs in pots on my deck.  Short answer: no.  Long answer, the term, herbalist, is usually associated with essential oils, herbal therapy, medicine or gardening.  Unless you're a cook.  Then, it's associated with great flavours.

When it comes to herbs, my first thought is using fresh herbs in my cooking, preferable home-grown.  My second choice is freeze-dried herbs, bought in a sealed bottle.  My third and final choice is regular containers of herbs.  Exotic herbs, of course, cannot be home-grown without a greenhouse and an elaborate, expensive set-up.

I've decided to grow the common herbs during the winter, too.  Under a plant stand that I'll build this summer.  I looked at some fancy ones in a gardening catalog thinking I'd buy one but I nearly passed out when I saw the prices.  I can make something that will work fine.  Besides, gardeners need to grow things in the winter, too.

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Di MambroMay 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM

    Sounds like a good plan. The smell of fresh herbs makes a simple meal great. Can make an easy pasta dish with fresh tomaotes- saute and basil. Perhaps we need to call you a herb grower!

    ReplyDelete