Sunday, May 29, 2011

Dandelions

Dandelions are amazing plants.  When they're brilliant yellow flowers, they're quite attractive.  When young, the leaves can be used in a salad.  If you're really desperate or want to try something different, you can even make wine from them.  Personally, I hate dandelions.  Especially in my lawn and flower beds.

So, I vainly attempt to control them with my long-handled dandelion probe during the spring and summer, every weekend.  It's a completely futile exercise, of course.  Unless you can remove the entire tap root, they'll simply reappear a week or so later.  A fall treatment with Killex will knock them back but seeds blown in from the neighbours will necessitate doing this on an annual basis.

Thinking positively, one could argue that it's great exercise digging them out weekly.  My back and thigh muscles would disagree.  Theologically, I think it's just another curse because of Eve eating that fruit offered to her by the serpent, back in the garden of Eden.  A curse, much like me having to shave every day.  I could grow a beard but I look worse with a beard than I do clean-shaven.  Dandelions suck ...

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Di MambroMay 29, 2011 at 2:54 PM

    Yes they do. Just wish I liked dandelion wine then we would be in business!

    ReplyDelete