Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Time to Rusticate

In case you don't know the word rusticate, it means to go to or live in the country. Unfortunately, I cannot do the latter but, fortunately, I can do the former. I'm feeling the urge to do some short trips into rural Manitoba, despite the hot weather. I'd like to see how the crops are doing right now, see what's being harvested early, and take a few photos along the way.

I might also visit some old friends in the Carman area. It's been awhile for that also! There's one elderly couple that I visit regularly. I give my old paperbacks to them because they have a hard time getting to their library. They seem to appreciate them. Another elderly couple recently moved off the farm into a condo because the yard work was getting to be too much for them. They always seem to have freshly made cookies and coffee when I visit them.

But, mostly, it's just good to get out of the city and see the country. It seems that no matter what city I live in (and I've lived in several, including Toronto, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Winnipeg, and Ottawa), I spent a lot of time travelling in the surrounding countryside. Happiness is ...


1 comment:

  1. Like you, I find there is something special by visiting the country settings that are not far from home. Carman always sounds very quaint but interesting after your country drive- your second home. You seem to have some nice friends and contacts there. Hope to see some photos from your venture!

    ReplyDelete