Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Man Plans ... God Laughs

Summer in the city. This summer, our city is hot. It's 34 as I write this. I haven't even been outside today except to tend to the dogs and to make sure the tomatoes have enough water. In this heat and sun, they need daily watering. All of the potted plants do. I may have to break down soon and start watering the flower beds. The perennials are struggling a bit but the bark mulch we use helps keep them from drying out too much.

I'm always planning to do "stuff". You know, the dreaded "to do" list. These plans rarely go according to my schedule. The only things that happen when they're supposed to, it seems, are things like trips to the dentist, doctor,and optometrist. If the weather sucks, things like a haircut, mowing the lawn, weeding, or oil change, can wait for more tolerable weather (read "lots of false starts").

Ever notice how city traffic thins out in the summer, especially on the weekend? People are no longer rushing to work or driving their kids to day care, sports activities, or the mall. I think most Winnipeggers either have a cottage at one of our many lakes or have a friend who has a cottage. The rest either camp in one of the provincial parks or rent a cabin. The city is much quieter in the summer.

Except at some of the giant box stores. They always seem to be packed with shoppers. The Christmas rush seems to be a daily one at our local Costco. The crowds there are simply unreal at times. It always amazes me to see someone push a cart out of that place with a ton of stuff followed by someone with a loaf of bread. Who in their right mind would go to Costco to buy a loaf of bread? Maybe, these people just like or need to mingle with other people?!

After a 'meat loaf/potatoes and dill/green beans' supper tonight, Marg and I were off to Safeway for some needed groceries. From air-conditioned house to A/C car to A/C store and back. I know, I know. I'll be complaining about the frigid weather soon enough.

3 comments:

  1. I have walked out of costco with one or two things in my hands...those are the times I wish they had a "50 items or less line" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would never work. You'd be stuck behind someone buying 3 refrigerators ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be the first in then you can be the first out! I like to shop as soon as the stores open then I beat the crowd!

    ReplyDelete