Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's for Supper?

Sometimes, I plan the supper menu well ahead.  Sometimes, not.  Sometimes, I follow a recipe closely (usually the first time I try something new).  Other times, I just look at what I have on hand and make some version of what I've made before.  When I have several guests over for a meal, it can be challenging.  Especially when one might be a meat and potatoes person and another might be a vegan.  Add a few kids to the mix, and the meal can get complicated.  Most of the time, cooking can be a lot of fun if you can make things up as you go along, especially if, at the end, it tastes good.

I also have a decent kitchen, complete with a good range top stove, the usual appliances, and lots of pots and pans and dishes.


I also keep a well-stocked larder, fridge, and freezer so, in the morning, I can look over what I have and come up with an idea for the evening meal.

Sometimes, I think of a meal or a part of a meal that I had a long time ago and enjoyed and I decide to make that.  These days, even if I don't have the recipe, I can find it by searching on-line.  All I have to do is type in some key words (the ingredients that I remember) into the Google search engine and I will get a lot of possible recipes.  I can quickly scan through these results and, usually, find the exact recipe I want.

I did just that, last night, remembering a wilted lettuce salad that I used to like.  It's just leaf lettuce with bacon bits, chopped egg, a creamy dressing, and hot bacon drippings poured over the mix.  It actually tastes great.  So, that's on tonights' menu. Right now, I'm thinking of making a chicken noodle soup to go with it.  But, that may change before I make it.  We'll see ...

2 comments:

  1. Well, you'll just have to invite us all over for a meal sometime soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just home from work- I can smell the bacon. Sounds like you and Adolph would enjoy sharing recipes.

    ReplyDelete