Sunday, January 2, 2011

Some Assembly Required

Three words ... usually found in fine print just below a bargain priced 'thing' that you might want to buy.  Examples might include a BBQ, a snow-blower, or a piece of furniture.  Those three words are guaranteed to give the buyer some future confusion, frustration, and/or anguish.  Invariably, the 'thing' comes with a set of instructions that were translated from some Asian language to English by a somewhat faulty computer language program.  Occasionally, once you get all of the parts and pieces sorted and find that everything is there, you are able to put the 'thing' together on the first try and begin using and enjoying it.  Sometimes, you have to disassemble everything and start over from the beginning.

It's a little like life ...

4 comments:

  1. The first thing we put together backwards taught us to read the instructions carefully on all future items. Honestly I wish life were as simple- Sometimes we can do everything correctly and events still go wrong! What has caused you such a reflection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started writing about assembling some purchases, got to the end, and thought 'it's a little like life'. Because it is. I look at my life and the lives of some people I know and realize that we are starting over again, hoping we'll get it right this time. Life doesn't come with an instruction manual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right is such a subjective word. I like to think I would do it differently. I try to learn about how I handled situations and my reactions to those situations so I would handle similar ones with insight. On the other hand, we all do the best we can in certain circumstances and it is easy to judge in hindsight! Starting over does give the opportunities to us to try new approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Through our mistakes, we can learn, grow, become stronger, and come to some good realizations about ourselves and about others.

    ReplyDelete