Monday, January 10, 2011

Keep on Looking

During the winter months, I often look back on the photos I made the previous summer.  Seeing the colourful flowers in bloom again reminds me that another growing season is coming.  Looking at photos I made on the beach near Tofino last August brought back many good memories.  When I see photos of surfers or tide pools, I can almost smell the salt air.

Recently, on my Facebook page, I posted a quote on photography and observation.  Brooks Anderson once said "the virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking".  However, I must admit, I don't enjoy photography very much in the winter.  Partly, it's the cold.  Partly, it's trying to take photos while trying to handle a dog on the leash at the same time.  Partly, it's just that I can't get too excited about what I see in the city during the winter.

When I lived in the country, I could just walk out the door and see all sorts of things to photograph.  When the skies were sunny or when there was a coating of hoar frost on everything, I just had to put on my coat, grab my camera, and start shooting.


Now that I live in Winnipeg, I guess I'm going to have to load the dog and camera gear in the car and get out into the country where I can see something that will rekindle my interest in winter photography.  I know there are interesting scenes out there.  I just have to go find them.

2 comments:

  1. If you have your camera with you, the photos will find you. Country shots are always great but I am sure in the city, your community, your yard there will be a shot for you to capture. On the other hand going back to a community you loved like Carman- probably will rekindle your interest. Of course remember to wear very warm mittens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can always come here and take some photos too

    ReplyDelete