Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Meaning of Life

Many people are trying to find the meaning of their life these days.  Douglas Adams, writer of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", jokingly said it was 42. In his honor, I wear a necklace with that number stamped on its pendant. It reminds me to occasionally reflect on the meaning of my life.

Joseph Campbell said "People say that we're all seeking the meaning for life ... I think what we are really seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonance within our innermost being and reality, so that we can actually feel the rapture of being alive". Campbell was an American mythologist, writer and lecturer. His work covers many aspects of the human experience. His philosophy is often summarized by his phrase: "Follow your bliss".

Personally, I think too many people are wasting their time and energy (and perhaps their life) searching for the meaning of life. In their quest, they lose sight of some fundamentals. Like simply loving their family and making the best of what they already have. My philosophy, if it is one, is to simply enjoy the moment and the life that I'm leading. As a calligrapher friend of mine once wrote, "enough is a feast".

1 comment:

  1. Carpe diem- seize the day and life will present itself. Some deep thinking lately Roy!

    ReplyDelete