Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cause and Effect

Herman Melville, the American who wrote "Moby-Dick" in 1851, once said "We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects".

If you're interested, you can read more about this writer in Wikipedia.


See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Melville

By now, you're wondering where I'm going with all this.  Well, one thread that started many years ago --- call it a cause --- recently resurfaced in my life as an effect.  When I was a high school senior, I joined the school's Hi-Y. These clubs were organized among high-school boys and affiliated with the Young Men's Christian Association, with purpose to create, maintain, and extend throughout the school and community, high standards of Christian character.

There, I became friends with some of my HS mates. I still remember a fine Chinese food banquet that we attended at Cathay Gardens in Coquitlam.  I think that's when my life long fondness for this cuisine began, 50 years ago.


You'll note I'm not in this group picture of the Hi-Y members. As usual, I was the one taking the picture.

Well, the other day, I had lunch with one of the fellows from this Hi-Y club while he and his wife were visiting in Winnipeg. In the photo above, Dave Holte is the one seated second from the right.  He looks a little different now.  It was good to get together again with him and talk a bit about the "good old days". Thus, a thread started 5 decades ago resurfaced in my life again.

1 comment: