Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Weird Wintry Weather

The prairies are experiencing winter's 'last kick at the cat'.  Rain, sleet, and light snow here in Winterpeg today, with the temperature hovering around the freezing mark.  So far, we've been missed by the heavy snowfall that fell west of us earlier today.

The grass here is greening up.  Lots of green buds on the trees and shrubs but no leaves yet.  It's just as well with this weather.  At least, with this rain, the early perennials will have lots of soil moisture for a good start to their spring growth.

I'm getting the spring urge to check the flower beds daily and to visit my favourite garden centre.  I want to get a few new house plants and some seedling herbs.  My thumb is developing a slight green tinge as I write this.  Maybe, now, I'll go look through some of my seed catalogues and do some day dreaming.

1 comment:

  1. Yes there is that urge to plan for the summer garden. We have many trees budding and the fruit trees are starting to flower- in March. Hope the snow stays away from you. Our weather is colder the last couple of days but so far no snow!

    ReplyDelete