Saturday, March 17, 2012

Life is Hard

Many of you probably know that, over the years and for various reasons, I've come to hate travel. Not so much being in a new place as in getting there and back. I've been to several countries in Africa and Europe, to Iceland and Greenland, the Caribbean a couple of times, New Zealand, Alaska and most other of the United States, and, of course, to every province and territory in Canada.

It's the waiting to go to the airport, going through security, customs, and immigration, and finally being shoehorned into a seat in an aluminium tube called an air-plane for a long, boring ride. And then, on the way home, reversing the whole process. These days, I'd more happily ride an armchair.

All the places I've been to have proven to be interesting. Some more than others but each one has been a good learning experience. Travel has enriched my life. And my latest travel adventure was more interesting than most.


... the new Westin in Panama ...


... the Gamboa Rainforest Resort

Panama has a wonderful history, including the building of the Panama Canal. Most of the people who live there are very friendly and helpful. Where we stayed (first at a brand new 5-star Westin on the Pacific coast and second at a Rainforest Resort very close to the Canal), the food and drinks were great. Every meal was a varied delight. Special mention has to be made of the delicious fresh fruit. I think I had more fresh fruit over those 7 days than I've had over the the past 7 months, here at home. I never knew pineapple could taste so good.

I was also able to indulge myself in my photography. I took many of the usual touristy shots around the hotel and resort but I also was able to photograph some of the local flora and fauna. Soon, I'll be posting some of my shots of flowers, trees, birds, turtles, monkeys, slothes, and even a few insects to my Flickr page. If you're a friend on my Facebook page, you'll have noticed I've already started to post some images of the places that we stayed.

Panama is a must-see place to go. I'd recommend visiting this wonderful country to anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a mixed blessing. I am glad you enjoyed yourself. Will be great to review your photographs which I am sure will be beautiful. Travel is a wonderful luxury. Tell us more about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete