Monday, January 2, 2012

A New Year

Yes. Okay. That was yesterday's news. But, better a day than a week late, I suppose. Looking at Flickriver images over the past two days has been fun. I've never seen so many photos of fireworks. And, they're not as easy to make as you might think. Here in Winterpeg, we have our own New Years Eve fireworks display. They start at the Forks at 10 p.m., making it easier for the kids to stay up and see them. Precisely at that time, I heard them start. Unfortunately, I didn't see them. I had other things on my mind. One was simply a determination to stay awake until midnight. Curled up in a warm bed with a book, I just smiled when the New Year was reached. I even read for a little while longer. I think that reading a good book is a great way to start a new year. It's almost become a tradition with me.

On New Years Day, I lazed around the house, reading, napping, and snacking. I did make French toast for breakfast and an Italian sausage and spaghetti dish for supper. Marg tended to laundry and taking down the Christmas decorations. My sore back precluded me helping her with these chores. Now, our living room looks relatively spacious and uncluttered (that won't last).

One of the treats of the day was the wonderful blooming of my amaryllis. Beautiful, large red, trumpet-shaped flowers (I'll post a photo soon). Three flowers per stem on the two stems that bloomed. There's one more stem yet to bloom.

What a great way to start a year. Happiness is ...

2 comments:

  1. There has been a lot of decluttering, dusting and putting decorations away across the country. Nice to have a Monday at home and a four day work week. What book are you reading? I am reading the 2011 Giller Prize winner- Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan. It sounds like you started the New Year well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading a sci-fi novel lent to me by Vlad, called House of Suns, by Alastair Reynolds. First sci-fi novel I've read in ages, after wading through the best authors years ago. Not unexpectedly, this one from Vlad is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete