Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Memory

One of Aldous Huxley's famous quotes is "every man's memory is his private literature". Maybe, that's why he never seemed to publish his memories.  Not that they might have been included in some of his essays, novels, or poems.

Of course, some times people do publish their memories, making what might be called a memoir or a more lengthy or detailed  autobiography. Others leave the task to their biographers, like Huxley did. Some autobiographies and biographies make excellent reading. I certainly enjoy reading ones about famous historical people, especially scientists.

It's really interesting reviewing the life of someone whose theories have shaped modern thought or whose art remains magnificent. People like Charles Darwin, Leonardo da Vinci, Claude Monet, Albert Einstein, Galileo, and Guglielmo Marconi.

For me, I will just share most of my memories with my very close friends and family. My children will inherit my journals where most of my history is written (at least the last 45 years or so).

1 comment:

  1. Memories are beautiful and yet- love the song from "The Way We Were". Good memories can get us through a painful time. That's why I believe to enjoy the present making memories that can keep our souls nurtured. Like family pictures!

    ReplyDelete