Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Man and His Dog

An anonymous dog lover once penned the following words. "She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.  You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion".

When I first read these words recently, I immediately thought of my bouvier, Holly. I've had since she was a wee pup, seen here chewing on a stick.


We've been together now for six years. She's only been away from her home once, for one week when she was placed in a kennel while I was on holiday, a week that was extremely hard on her because she is such a creature of habit. She is used to doing certain things at specific times of the day and in certain places, not least of which is sleeping beside me at night.



I worried about her every day we were apart. When I picked her up, she seemed totally stressed out. It took several days before she returned to normal.

George Elliot said "animals are such agreeable friends ... they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms".

2 comments:

  1. Dogs are such trusted members of families. Your Holly is such a family member. I am sure she is great company to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a great dog :) Glad you have each other (she may have been thinking the same thing about you when you picked her up...he seems so stressed, took him several days to get back to normal ;)hehe).

    ReplyDelete